Monday, June 16, 2014

Fun Collage Session with Violet Cooper at Flinders Street Market; A Glamour Puss Collage I Made

14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper 14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper

Violet's colourful collages are so quirky and fun. Aren't the colours delightful? I played paparazzi and even managed to get myself a spot in the 'Making in the Market' workshop last Saturday! I loved it, and I can't wait to share my experience with you.

Materials provided by the artist herself, the choice for material was abundant and varied. I think Violet must have brought her entire studio with her. Being the indecisive person, I started gathering a few crochet doilies of muted tones from the box of fabric, and sat on the stool with a creative hump, not knowing how to begin. The morning's coffee seemed to have worn off, and Violet simply said, "Just do it."

14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper 14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper

Every one else seemed to have their creative juices flowing. Just do it? I started stacking the crochet doilies... and thought to put that into a photo frame. That felt lame. Even lamer was how I could not decide on a frame, and placed a plastic face on the stack of doilies. The doily-with-a-face was too scary, so I scraped that idea completely and went into fail-safe mode, cats.

It was quite a coincidence to find a 2004 cat calender under the pile of vintage children's books and pages. You all know how I love fluffy cats, so it was a choice (again) between a white floofy one or a grey one. That pout and big copper eyes had me at first hello. And then one thing led to another -- I may have subconsciously created a JuanitaTortilla mascot in my favourite colours of purple, grey and black.

14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper

The inspiration for the tagline? Like a little fair warning to visitors - to my house or social media site - one is encouraged to like (or tolerate) cats, because there is going to be a lot of that!

IMG_0765

Violet was happy to guide us with suggestions and assisted with the sticking that was required. The 'Least Amount of Effort' award must go to me, because take a look at the fun (and sometimes a little naughty) great pieces that were made at the table.

14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper 14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper 14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper 14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper 14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper 14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper 14.Jun.14 Making in the Market 2 with Violet Cooper

Much respect to mixed media artists. It really isn't as easy as it seems! I am now looking at all my fabric scraps and bits and bobs differently now. In fact, I believe I am going to start op-shopping for things to "kitschify" from now on.

If you participated in this workshop (Hi!), how are you displaying your creative works of art?


No comments:

Thoughts on this

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)