Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition 2014

01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition
You all know how I love the challenge of making fabric remnants work. The Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition is right up my alley -- purchase a packet of randomly-packed trimmings from Umbrella Prints, then make something, anything, to enter the competition.

How is this competition not designed for me? (Ha.)

For this competition I bought a Dark trimmings packet.
01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition

Today I got to arranging the pieces immediately after the morning coffee. (Just so eager.)
01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition

After a few attempts at other arrangements, the first try proved to be the lucky one, with the best fit. So glad I took a photo of it; trying to arrange it back from memory would have been impossible...
01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition

Because I wanted to use every precious bit of print, I went ahead and did a haphazard patchwork. I lack the finesse and precision of someone who sews quilts, so quilters, you may find the images below terrifying.
01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition 01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition

Just going where the seam flows.
01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition

To give it a more handmade touch, I hand-stitched some matching rust-coloured dashes.
01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition

Finally, there was a brown border to "frame" it all up.
01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition 01.Apr.14 Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition

And because this is a competition, I will be showing you the finished product in due time... But you have seen the exciting bits!


3 comments:

  1. I really hope you win!! I think your arrangement of the fabric pieces is just perfect! Can't wait to see the finished item... is it a bag? cushion? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh exciting! I just ordered mine today

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun competition! I love the assortment of prints and colors provided in this pack. Can't wait to see your final creation!

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)