Monday, March 31, 2014

The Wallpaper Awards Dress That Didn't Make It - Butterick 5490

DSC_0008 DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011

I busted into my fabric stash the second day after unpacking the boxes because I wanted to make a dress for the Young Achiever Awards dinner we were invited to with the dress-code 'after five'. An older dress that I wanted to wear is too (too) tight and going out to buy a dress wouldn't be fun... Getting a second opinion about my ever expanding girth, I made this dress based on the waist measurement -- it is a size 14. Turns out, though, it is a little too large and I can barely move my arms without having a 'wardrobe malfunction' moment, as demonstrated by the mannequin.

Why did we overestimate my rib cage? Why do I always have this problem with Butterick?

And I know what you're thinking: That looks like wallpaper.

Sigh. Another day will be needed to undo this lined dress and downsize it. But no hurry, I don't have another gala to attend. Also, I don't have the presser foot for an invisible zipper.

IMG_0275 IMG_0276

Notes:
- Butterick B5490
- Size 14
- Material: 4-metre thick cotton bought in Singapore


8 comments:

  1. I love the fabric, very fancy. I'm sure you'll get it how you want it. Picture of you modeling it, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks lovely. I could have told you you aren't a 14! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful...not sure what you mean with wardrobe malfunction from those pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fabric, I think it looks beautiful:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This has such a lovely vintage feel, without being obviously (cutesy) retro. Reminds me of something you'd find in Anthropologie, but better quality workmanship. I'd be happy to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab dress Juanita. Hope you made it fit??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I really do love some of the stuff you make - it is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fabulous! I find the pattern measurements that some companies use such a nightmare - especially when the top half of my body is three sizes smaller than the bottom half. You did a lovely job of sewing, even if the fitting is a little off.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)