Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Opportunity Shopping, Not Quite Thrift Shopping


When shopping to set up our kitchen, Hubs and I decided that we would leave the wine glasses to the thrift stores. There were going to be unique finds, we believed. Besides, I think wine glasses don't have to be matchy-matchy.

So, about two weeks ago, we went on a thrift store hunt. Not technically a hunt since all I did was an online search for thrift stores near us.

I like how the way it's called "Opportunity Shopping", op-shop for short. Going by the prices we paid for the glassware at Salvos ($2.25 to $5 per glass), they were no less than discount store prices. One could walk out of the store feeling good about the moneys going to charity and/or paying for the opportunity to spot a good find, so, no pinch there.

Last Saturday, just so randomly, we walked by an Australian Red Cross thrift store while in another suburb. We had time to kill that morning, so The Hubs let me go in to play. And what fun I had getting into trouble! In my books, a good thrift / op shop would offer a large-enough variety of fabric remnants to ignite sewing ideas, crafty bits and bobs, and housewares to fondle. If you must know, I skip past the clothes entirely.

There was an almost-new Janome sewing machine as well for $100. It, however, was missing the electric pedal, so I decided to give that a miss. Next time! (I do have my American Singer sewing machine coming. Will just have to be patient.)

Stores items were procured from:
Salvos, 416 Magill Road, Kensington Gardens SA 5068
Animal Welfare League, 66 Reid Ave, Tranmere SA 5073
Australian Red Cross, Gladstone Rd & Shepherds Hill Rd, Blackwood SA 5051

3 comments:

  1. How funny! I might have nearly bumped into you in the Salvo's store on Magill Road! I was in there on Saturday afternoon - my daughter had to drop off some clothes (many bags!). My girls live on Glynburn Rd. I didn't see any bargains unfortunately!

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Op-shopping' sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love op shopping! Yah! I love op shop fabric :D

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)