Friday, March 14, 2014

Grandmother's sour green chili with ikan bilis



Quite pleased with successfully recreating this dish we call 'Ah ma's sour green chili with ikan bilis'. My first attempt for Cooking Club was such a disappointment.

It was sweet, spicy, sour, salty, fishy, fatty and yummy all at the same time. Yay!

I really like how there are no fixed proportions -- you can adjust it to however meaty, sweet, spicy, or fishy you want.

For my future reference, I used:
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped (I really like garlic.)
- 4 medium chicken sausages, chopped (They were really fatty and oily.)
- 3 green chilies, seeds removed and sliced
- a bowl of anchovies, soaked in water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tbs honey
- almost 1 cup of salted/preserved soy beans (Very important; missed that out last time.)

Method:
1. Deep fry ikan bilis until dark and crispy. Drain oil and set anchovies aside.
2. Fry garlic and sausages in little remaining oil until brown and cooked.
3. Add in preserved soy beans and green chilies to warm them up.
4. Pour in some water to bring everything together and create a sauce, evaporating a little.
5. Turn off flame, stir in ikan bilis, honey and lemon juice!

I knew I had to give this another try and seeing my sister's successful first attempt on facebook some weeks ago reminded me to give it another go. (Very telling of who is the better cook, ha.) Also, I received insider tips from my mother and aunts last year: that crucial first step of deep frying the fish bits. Other than that, this dish is so easy.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very good, but I would leave the anchovies out. I don't like their flavor much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!!!! i want to try this! but erhhhh, is preserved soy beans the same as "taucheo?" and can i use ikan billis that's already deep fried?

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)