Monday, December 09, 2013

Tomato Factory - Hopewell, NJ




Cathy took me to Hopewell's Tomato Factory last month. That was a real treat; I miss looking at antiquities and how an activity like that takes one back in time. What I like about Tomato Factory is the variety of things and how everything is in great condition -- no chips or cracks or food stains on kitchenware and linen tea towels -- and I found myself spending most time in a particular booth selling kitchenware, naturally.

Items that caught my interest:
- adorable and kitschy salt'n'pepper shakers from the 1950s;
- beautiful purple glass bottles (how often do you find purple bottles these days?);
- sets of glass containers that were precursors to the plastic 'Tupperware' (I want them all);
- colourful Fiesta ware;
- the reupholstered pair of chairs; and
- a 1950s toy metal sewing machine (!). Its flywheel turns to move the needle.

I keep thinking about the little sewing machine and how adorable it is... I want it, but do I need it?

9 comments:

  1. Wow this place is amazing - I think you posted a few pictures to instagram, but its amazing when you see them altogether like this. Love the wee sewing machine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think only us sewing types will be interested in something like that :D

      Delete
  2. I really, really want to go here! What a fun feast for the eyes! I'll have to look up directions in respect to my house and maybe take a trip one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this trip happens to be some time this year, remember to swing by my place. I'd be happy to invite you in for tea or coffee :)

      Delete
  3. I couldn't find anything like that in NYC..maybe I didn't walk enough?! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do I see a miniature TV in one of your photos? I would have loved to visit this place too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The miniature TV was a salt and pepper shaker too :D It had rectangular containers that you load from the top of the TV.

      Delete
  5. I'm always and forever torn with that question too Juanita
    " I want it but do I need it"
    Such a hard thing to always battle haha

    I enjoyed the photos and wishing that someday I could travel and visit the place too.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)