Friday, December 6, 2013

Amelia The Money Taker

It is interesting how the mind is capable of blocking out memories. My childhood is this massive dark space in which not many memories survive, but the multiple Throwback Thursdays sprouting all over the Web have resurrected some vivid ones. This is my Throwback Thursday Therapy.

There was this girl called Amelia.

Amelia and I rode the same school bus in the late morning to get to our afternoon session of Primary school. She lived a few minutes' drive from me.

One day before assembly, Amelia asked me if she could borrow some coins from me. This was in the early Primary school days. I was given just enough money to get lunch, so I handed her half of what I had. She said she was going to return it to me, which I believed. I didn't have anything for recess that day.

It went on for a period of time I now do not know. I probably received a bit more pocket money from my mother so as not to miss recess. But how I dreaded having to see and face Amelia every day.

One afternoon, instead of the usual sending me off, my grandmother surprised me by riding the school bus with me. I felt safe -- Amelia couldn't possibly approach me with my grandmother around.

I was wrong.

When we arrived on school grounds, Amelia told me to follow her to the restroom. I did. She asked me why my grandmother came to school that day and how much pocket money I had on. I naively declared and showed her my $1.20 worth of coins that were to see me through the next days. "Give me 80 cents," she demanded. I did just that and never made a sound to my grandmother. Or anyone. At least she left me 40 cents...

Amelia's money taking didn't last too long, I guess; I don't know how it ended, but it stopped at that Primary year... Whatever the reason, Amelia had her group of friends and I became invisible to her as she was nonexistent to me too, right through the end of Secondary school.

Any repercussions from this incident in my childhood? Your guess is as good as mine. We are left wondering the impacts, if any, caused by her choice of actions.


5 comments:

  1. Amelia probably now works for Goldman Sachs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story reminded me of a schoolmate who borrowed my toy once, and then when I asked for it back, she said her maid threw it away. She was not even sorry, and I never believed her story. I really wonder why I lent my toys to anyone in the first place. How stupid I was. I'm sure it was because I wanted people to like me. The sad thing is, I still have this person on Facebook.

    Thank goodness Amelia stopped bullying you after that year. I wonder if she found another victim..
    School was traumatising to me... worst years of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that's the one bad thing about Facebook. I am surprised you even bother to "stay in touch" with her. I can bear a grudge *forever*.

      The best part about Amelia was: I was not even her friend. She just demanded money from me and ran off to be with her other friends!!!

      Delete
  3. I think everyone has got at least one evil school mate in her/his life...unfortunately I remember to have had many! I got bullied and even hit by elder boys on the school bus in the Primary school days...and then bullied by jealous b*tches at the college.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)