Thursday, December 19, 2013

12 Days of Xmas Swop: History and Your Thoughts

This is the story behind the Wasted Fashion - Juanita Tortilla Christmas swap -- an idea that sprung out of nothing, like most good things.

Facebook, love it or hate it, brought Chloe and I together a number of years ago. She was a Primary school friend of mine back in Singapore, and I had to have her on my friends list soon after I signed up. Remembering her first message to me: "You look so different now Juanita!"

Then in November 2010 ('was living in Switzerland), Chloe sent me a care package from Singapore. A care package to see through my birthday, Christmas and New Year holidays! There was so much thought put into that care package; delicious Singapore food packets, out-of-print dressmaking patterns, cosmetics and a travel pouch.


Because a kind deed should never go unrewarded, I tried to reciprocate by gathering some kitsch and fun items for Chloe. (Kitsch and fun, like her blog!) In retrospect, I don't think I did a good job... Including a couple of Swiss sweets, there were 12 frivolous items in total.

Chloe worked long hours; I thought having a little daily gift could give her some cheer. (My visiting in-laws were returning to Singapore by the time I put the package together, so the parcel travelled back with them and made its way to Chloe's house in speed. Phew, I worried about those chocolates.)


Coinciding with the 'round-the-corner festivity, the "12 Days of Christmas gifts" was born as Chloe unwrapped a gift a day and shared it on her blog.

In 2012, Chloe and I shared this swap fun by hosting our first 12 Days of Christmas Swop on our blogs.

Dear friends, a swap designed to be fun and without the religious inclination, does the word Christmas deter you from joining? Also, how would you describe the overall swap and gift exchange experience? I'd like to hear your thoughts!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Juanita! I'm catching up with your posts. The 12 Days of Xmas Swop is a great idea especially for friends who live in the opposite side of the world. Wish I could have joined then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its kind of cool to see the background of the swop - I feel like I did see the 12 days of Christmas swop package being opened on Chloe's blog. I have really liked being part of the swop the last couple of years even though I am a grinch;)

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)