Thursday, November 14, 2013

Just Rest and Sleep, Fluffy



On Sunday afternoon, 3 days ago on November 10th, I watched Fluffy slip into Forever-sleep in the Carnegie Cat Clinic at 13:00hr. My last kiss on his still forehead.

Fluffy's diabetes got the better of him, last Friday, and was hospitalized on Friday night. On Saturday, I received updates from his vet, Dr. McCann, in the morning and late afternoon. I heard the words 'very, very concerned', 'uphill battle' (many times), 'aggressive treatment', and 'little improvement'. The Hubs had been away to Asia, and it was a struggle getting in touch. But our minds knew: Fluffy was suffering.

That fateful Sunday morning, it was a long drive to see Fluffy; I missed the turn to the cat clinic. I arrived there at 09:30 and spoke to the attending vet. I also saw the frail and unrecognizable Fluffy. A small part of me was hoping to hear of a remarkable recovery in the last 24 hours. But Dr. Ross showed me otherwise. Fluffy's vision was gone; he was severely dehydrated; his muscles had gone weak; and she told me sincerely, "I have dealt with diabetic cats and Fluffy is the sickest kitty I have ever seen."

He would not make it to Australia.

I had a few phone calls with The Hubs that morning, as the clinic gave us time to make a decision. We held on and thought: Maybe my sister, or someone, would be able to take care of him. But no one, not even animal shelters, would think twice about taking in a kitty with a lifelong disease that needs regular and expensive monitoring. Healthy, young cats have problems finding forever homes, as it is. What about: I take him home to treat him, to alleviate the cost of hospitalization. Dr. Ross said that she could teach me everything I needed to know, however, Fluffy was not in any condition to be discharged. She also advised: Had it been her pet, despite all her means to take care of a sick kitty at home, it would be unfair on Fluffy to be put through the agony. Unfair.

And the question was: How do we ensure that Fluffy will be well in the month's stay at quarantine?

Dr. Ross may have been right -- Fluffy was probably aware of our upcoming move to Australia. His body could have decided to stop fighting.

It was well past 12 noon when I finally told the clinic of our decision.

That Sunday ripped a huge and irreparable hole in my stone-cold heart.

I miss him. So much.

14 comments:

  1. I wish I could give a real hug, I know how much you are hurting. Losing Fluffy is a terribly hard blow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people will miss that beautiful Fluffy boy. Go through. And think how much joy you gave each other. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how much Fluffy mean't to you, he was a very loved member of your family and I know it must hurt so much to lose him. I am so sorry you have to go through this, I really am xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being so smiling and nice to us even if your heart was so heavy and your head was spinning and thinking constantly of your baby.
    RIP Fluffly, I will always remember you as the massive and scary guard of the B&B chez Juanita and Dr Pin.
    I hope Pickle will cuddle you enough to go through this.
    Hugs my dear friend :*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you had to go through this, Juanita. You did the right thing. It is better that he did not have to suffer for long. I know the pain you feel. I've had many pets with illnesses that just got the better of them no matter how hard I tried to get them through. My first loss was the hardest, and I learned that all we can really do is not prolong the suffering of our cherished babies.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Juanita. I was very saddened to see this post. I'm so sorry to learn of the loss of your beloved Fluffy!

    Hugs,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Juanita, that is so sad. I'm sorry to hear of this. I know how much your fur kids mean to you. But you did the greater loving gesture by stopping Fluffy's suffering. Just an awful thing to have to do. And alone. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, I'm very sorry to hear about your beloved Fluffy. At least he's at peace now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry Juanita. But I'm sure you did the right thing and didn't let him suffer any longer. Time will surely ease the pain you are feeling. Sending you positive thoughts.
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Run free, sweet little Angel. You will be missed and never ever forgotten.
    I love you, sweet Fluffy, be a good kitty up there in kitty heaven :)

    And Juanita, I think your heart is very very warm and soft... and it will always be. No one with a cold heart could ever love animals the way you do. Big hugs, Cat Mom! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Juanita I am so sorry to hear about you having to take such a difficult decision. We form such a strong bonding to our pets it is so hard when they are no longer with us. I am thinking of you.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm confused...you are now moving to Oz? How long have you been in the US? It feels like yesterday...And if you were staying in the US would it have been ok? Or without quarantine would it have been ok? I'm so sorry...such a hard and difficult situation :( xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Juanita,
    just read about Fluffy. I`m so sorry.
    I fear the day, my cat will die…
    Thinking of you,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)