Monday, November 11, 2013

CD Diary 20 Oct 2013: Getting to Chitwan. Evening Elephant Ride.



Sunday, October 20th 2013. The day started early as we departed the busy Kathmandu to Chitwan National Park by road. The drive took 5 hours, arriving at Chitwan River Side at 13:15. I thought we were going to sleep throughout the journey, but tailgating the goat on the bus -- yes, goat ON THE BUS -- was too exciting. Poor animal. I've seen people, mattresses and motorcycles on buses, but this was my first goat.

Upon arrival, we had lunch at the hotel, followed by a leisurely afternoon which involved a visit to the Wildlife Display & Information Centre and an elephant breeding centre, a short walk away. After that, Simon, LP and myself were kindly treated to an evening elephant ride. Simon got to have the interesting perspective of sitting at the elephant's rear. This is our third elephant ride* in Nepal, and third time's the charm: we caught sight of a wild rhinoceros, happily grazing amidst the grass. It made getting all drenched** in the rain worth it.

Tomorrow, the CD training begins.

* This was Simon's first elephant ride; 3rd ride for LP and I.
** It proved that bathing the iPhone in the rain is not a good idea. But things went back to normal after a couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, that goat is the best! My goats love sleeping/sunning on the roofs of cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goat on a bus. Sounds like it should be a silly song. Ha!
    I would love to be that close to wildlife. What an amazing thing to catch sight of a wild rhino!

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)