Saturday, October 5, 2013

Panama Canal - the Locks - Miraflores



While in Panama, what I found most interesting was having big ships sailing right past us so casually in a stone's throw. One would think these gigantic container-carrying ships would only be seen at a safe distance, out in the ocean.

If you've been on my blog long enough, you'd know that I don't do any homework before any travels (always about surprises and not having great expectations), so these dams or "water gates" as I call them, known as Locks, were most curious to me.

A really nice animation on how the canal / water elevator works: How It Works

I am so glad that the host staff scientist took us out for dinner at Miraflores, on our last night in Panama, to see the locks! That was quite something to see. (And a good distraction from overeating the buffet.)

3 comments:

  1. That must have been amazing to watch such large ships so close!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, more traveling! :D I can't wait to see a map of your trips this year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are like me with the planning - I plan to get there and then the rest is a bit of a mystery! My brother hated this when we went to Toulouse but for me it works just fine! Even if a place is seemingly dull there is something to learn and look at! Panama - wow - you really get around!

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)