Thursday, September 26, 2013

That Family Feast - My Sister's Wedding


My sister's Chinese wedding was held in a Teochew restaurant, aptly named Teochew Restaurant; a shophouse restaurant located in the city, and a restaurant my family used to frequent. I liked how the balloons were lined up, if I may say so myself, ha. (Table decor was my sister's idea -- I only helped with the labour. Impressive napkins were by restaurant staff.)


If you have never been to a Chinese (or Singaporean Chinese) wedding "banquet", you're in for a treat:

- Pickles with Roasted suckling pork skin // "Ngoh hiang", a type of meat springroll -

- Duck and sea cucumber stew with chestnuts -

- "Thick" fish maw soup -

- Steamed fish with salted vegetables -

- Water crest vegetables with fresh abalone and Shiitake mushrooms -

- Seafood kueh teow (broad rice noodles) -

- "Or nee", a yam puree dessert with gingko nuts // "Muah chee", a soft and sticky glutinous cake coated with black sesame seeds -

It is by no means vegetarian-friendly, and believe me, I was stuffed after my second dish (I skipped the first one of pork). The food just kept coming, and each one so delicious in its own right. It also got me thinking about the chaos in the kitchen, because the restaurant was hosting many other non-wedding patrons.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your sister on her wedding! That looks like an amazing banquet!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't appreciate my cousin's Chinese (well, the wife of my cousin) wedding. Sniff. I was too young to experiment with food.

    How does Muah chee compare to mochi? Is it similar at at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is 100% like mochi, without any stuffing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We want to see pictures of the wedding!!! ;D Kidding... Hope you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to see how people eat on a weddingparty at the other side of the world! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did your sister take inspiration from your previous homemade tins ?! :)
    Have a lovely weekend!

    A friend from afar :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. The next best thing about events and family reunion is great food heehee You know me, I'm such a foodie lover. Though I'm more curious about the Chinese wedding ceremonies. Care to share? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I am clueless about Chinese traditions. Also, I haven't gone to enough weddings to witness these traditions being played out!

      Delete
  8. What a feast! Sounds like a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing brings family together like a big feast! Congrats to your sister!

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)