Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Vegetable Query: Curly Kale



This vegetable adventure was in July, and I remember being under the weather -- and completely uninspired to be in the kitchen -- when the turn came for Curly Kale. So a very boring chicken stock soupy rice it was...

Kale chips have been appearing in the "health-conscious" supermarkets, as far as I can tell. A little search on the internet confirmed the practical use of this substantially-fibrous vegetable as a crispy chip. I have yet to try one of these chips, and apparently homemade kale chips are pretty easy to make.

Taste-wise, as with any other deep green leafy vegetable, I like it for its "iron-y" taste.

How would you recommend having kale?


4 comments:

  1. My husband likes kale but unlike you I find the iron-y taste quite off putting. I find adding garlic, chilli or chorizo takes away some of that irony taste.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! It was quite a task, chomping on these fibrous leaves. I'd definitely chop them thinner and cook them for longer, the next time, if it helps.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE kale. Lemon garlic kale chips are my favorite and they're so much cheaper to make yourself. I use kale in soups, which will come in handy this fall as there's so much of it growing in my backyard right now. I also like sauteing it, making salads out of it and using it in place of spinach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just jealous that you have vegetables growing in your garden!

      Delete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)