Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sew Me Something: Aztec-ish Batik Easy Dress - Burda 7796

Front
Back
Repeat that, again, please?
Action shot
This is a 3-step easy dress pattern that left me wondering if I was dropped on the head. I had to redo and unpick Step 2, three times, only to finally ignore instructions to do it my way. (See why I don't like instructions?)

Frustrating construction aside, I like this dress. Heck, I like all dresses that I can eat in and distend like a bloated cow that I am.

As with most batik sarongs, this piece is 180 centimetres long, with a distinctive decorative pattern on one end. (It is not a uniform, repetitive print.) I made the "bolder" print as the front, leaving the Aztec-ish print for the back. Also, because it was only 180cm long, the final dress ends short, at mid-thigh.

Pattern: Burda 7796 - size 38, adding inseam pockets
Material: ~1.80 metres of cotton batik bought in Kota Kinabalu airport; cream-coloured biased tape I made ages ago
Time taken: 2 days

3 comments:

  1. It looks really good! I love that style of dresses! Both print and shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bold print on the front looks great!
    It's really annoying when these patterns and instructions have to be paid for, and there are still horrible mistakes. :|

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)