Saturday, July 13, 2013

Vegetable Query: Indian Bitter Gourd



Behold the freaky strange-looking bitter gourd! While at the Asian grocery store, I swapped the "normal" Chinese bitter gourd with this one labelled 'Indian Bitter Gourd'. It was so strange I had to hold it by the stalk. (What if it comes to live and bites?)

I looked up a gourd recipe in my Curries recipe book. The name of this gourd might have influenced the decision a little bit. It suggested making a dhal. I wasn't too keen on having to go out and buy split peas, though. Also, a day before cooking this Indian bitter gourd, we ate at a Chinese place where they offered bitter gourd omelette... So the idea of a curried omelette came to being.

Bitter was the verdict -- much more bitter than the other variety, which works for us, anyway!

I'm not sure what made me shave off the spikes. Would you have done that, too?


3 comments:

  1. That gourd looks amazing, I have never seen anything like it. I don't like bitter tastes so i know that it wouldn't have appealed to me!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the indian bitter gourd but I have never known how to make it myself! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eww! Never liked bitter gourd but love that you made the word bitter with the gourd!

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)