Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Bread A Month: May 2013: Bagels


* My second attempt at Bagels. The recipe was different than the other book. * Stirred the dough with a wooden spoon till my arm could stir no more. * I used bread flour (6 cups), as suggested, instead of all-purpose. * The water bath was sweet -- you taste the sweetness as the bagel's crust meets your tongue. * I now know the "secret" to the smooth, brown bagel's characteristic look. * Made 12 bagels instead of 10. * They are chewy and deemed a success despite appearances. * I will follow this bagel recipe again!

Recipe from: Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan 



7 comments:

  1. I'm coming to visit you and I will eat all the ugly bagels. YAY CARBS! They look good and chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I never thought of how difficult it would be to get perfect holes in the middle of bagels. As long as they taste good...how did you eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I oftentimes grab for the "swollen" bagels in a batch. I feel that they're much chewier for some reason. These look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed with your bagels they look amazing!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much work, but I'm sure it was worth it. I love your description of the bagels' sweetness... hehehe.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)