Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Bread A Month: April 2013: Basic White Bread

IMG_3402
I used to revere those that can bake basic white breads, and I've avoided trying a white loaf for years, because I feel I'm just not good enough... This April, I've decided to begin with the basics from the Baking With Julia book. Surely these experts know what they're talking about.

IMG_3396
The recipe made 2 loaves. In this kitchen, I am provided with a metal tin, as well as a clay one. Time for a little experiment -- does the baking container matter?

IMG_3393
We got photo-bombed by Felis Interruptus, otherwise known as Pickle.

IMG_3397
Left: baked in metal. Right: baked in clay. I was just as surprised as you are with the outcome.

IMG_3400
Froze the paler one and finished the other in a couple of days. Are we ready for the next bread lesson?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You can make bread!!!Me? I'd rather wait and eat haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your white loaves look wonderful there is nothing like home made bread. I have various recipes so I don't cook the same bread each time.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice experiment! The loaf looks delicious!
    The clay container must be more airy. I think the clay one wins. Just like the label said, ideal for baking that English loaf :D

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)