Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I Called the Cops

30 August 2004. True story.
It was late in the evening and we had just checked ourselves in at a Ramada along the highway in New Jersey, after an 18-hour flight from Singapore. I had just brushed my teeth and was about to call it a night until a bright spark in me lit -- let's give a friend a surprise phone call.

911_Call-(1) 911_Call-(2) 911_Call-(3) 911_Call-(4) 911_Call-(5)

I went screaming to The Hubs in the bathroom, "I just called 9-1-1!" sharing my panic. A few seconds later, a call from the hotel receptionist came in, asking if a call to 9-1-1 had been made from our room, and said that a police officer on duty would be coming by. No! Cancel that order -- I was not dressed to meet with the cops... But "OK" was all I said, and I knew I got us into trouble for prank-calling. I'm innocent, I swear.

We spent the next few minutes pacing the room and that fateful knock on the door came. Hubs cleared his throat as he opened the door to greet the man in blue while I tried to hide from his sight. I was picturing myself being brought away in handcuffs. What a great way to begin life in the USA! That didn't happen, thankfully. The friendly officer asked if everything was alright, which was, save for my over-pulsating heart, and walked away accepting our apologies.

Sorry Mr. Policeman.

No more hotel phones for me. Let's stick to SMS and email, shall we.

9 comments:

  1. haha. This is hilarious! If I was in a similar situation I would totally make the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww you must've been quite panicked. I am sure the police realised it was an honest mistake :)

    How are you settling in?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is too funny! But I can totally seeing myself doing the same thing. Hotel phone operating system should know better than doing a 9-1 and then dial your number. I'm sure you were not the only one that day to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear!! How embarrassing!! Sounds like the police officer was really understanding though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!
    Awaiting from brand new tales from New Jersey now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading the title I was worried, thinking you were in trouble and You called cops.. But the story ended up giving me a hearty laugh Juanita :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a start to your time in New Jersey this made me laugh! I hope your return journey will not start off so eventful!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops!! But I enjoyed reading this and laughed :D
    You're not the only one to make a mistake like this, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you poor thing! Thank goodness you were in an English-speaking country and it was easy to explain the mistake. Good to see life is getting settled for you in NJ.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)