Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Bread A Month: January 2013: Vollkornbrot

21.01.13 January's bread: Vollkorn
Fourth week into January, and we are on our first Bake a Bread a Month goal for the year. As our current "camping" situation is having us eat out of the cupboards, I used the 1-kg packet of Vollkorn (whole meal) flour and random sachets of yeast I had been saving up for that some day.

21.01.13 January's bread: Vollkorn
My makeshift bread-kneading counter was just a thick aluminium foil over the stove. This was done with one hand holding the side of the foil down, the other kneading the dough. Interesting workout. The flapping metallic noise of the thick foil drove the cats crazy.

21.01.13 January's bread: Vollkorn
With no books to turn to, and not seeking the internet, I trusted the recipe that came with the flour. It was easy to put together.

21.01.13 January's bread: Vollkorn
Taste-wise, The Hubs insisted on a bitter aftertaste, which he didn't like. I, on the other hand, like my bread slices heavy with Nutella or jam, so nothing of that sort bothered me. Maybe an egg-in-a-basket is in order.

What bread are you baking for February?

A note about the ancient-old oven in the apartment:
It is fitted with only one heating element, quite illogically, at the top of the oven, so I don't know how effective the heat convection is without a fan in it. It has been great for broiling. For the past almost-3 years, if uncovered, my baked goods came out burnt at the top and uncooked at the bottom. To save myself from ruining this massive loaf of bread from becoming a black rock, I created a foil "dome" above it, and extended the baking time. This explains the lack of that nice brown colour and slightly moist base.

Or maybe I am just one bad baker...

This is my last bread-making adventure in Maur. Fingers crossed February will be better.

10 comments:

  1. Baking is like therapy for me - I love it! Nice post, too...

    I have just written an upcoming post on how to bake my favorite Swiss winter bread! It's more of a flatbread, actually, and you will soon find out how to make it on Newly Swissed :-)

    Enjoy your camping adventure!
    Dimitri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay first bread of the year! I think you did a good job with what you had available.. and even with your temperamental oven! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I've never made bread, I'm not sure I would have the patience! I can relate to the problems you are having with your oven! We have lived in apartments with very dody ovens! I like the solution you came up with - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the very best food comes out of distressed circumstances or crappy kitchen spaces. Looks fine to me, rather like the bread I am now buying from the Swedish Bakery in Nelson NZ. (pure rye sour dough)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still baking the usual sourdough. -did use spelt recently and the loaf turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really miss vollkorn brot! The ones I find in Singapore is just not the same! :S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, homemade bread? Can't say I've ever attempted that. And I have a breadmaker lol

    Stopping by to say thank you so much for linking up with us this week for the GFC Collective, now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this bread a month idea. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah baking... the art (or science?) of baking or in fact cooking is a tough one. I have made salty (no, not savoury) just plain SALTY muffins when I intended to have sugary chocolate muffins. I do not know how this happened. But you shouldn't give up and keep trying :) You were so clever in fixing that oven though!

    Hope you are well Juanita :)

    P.S. do you drive (automatic or manual?) I cheated and learnt in an automatic hence passed my test ssshhhh dont tell anyone ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Trishie, your bread a month idea is fantastic! My mother-in-law has been experimenting with baking gluten free breads for me, I'm very spoilt.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)