Wednesday, December 19, 2012

It's Official - A Year Away

Yesterday, we drove to Bern to collect our non-immigrant visas from the US Embassy. It therefore makes it official: We are going to spend one year in the United States of America.

... but her navigating skills are as good as mine.
Pickle and I have kept it under wraps for a few months. With reason.

It was our decision to give up our apartment, with 3 months notice, based on our contract. We could sublet our apartment, of course, but decided not to.

Even though our move out of the current apartment was affirmative, we still haven't heard news regarding the official "invite" to work-stay in the US. So, the past couple of months bore the nagging feeling of 'OMG if this doesn't work out, we are homeless', because we gave up our home and everything else tied to it.

Pickle has chosen a destination.
Our home for the next year? Pickle's paw is spot-on.

[ As an early holiday present, a friend gifted me this Michelin map for the Mid-Atlantic. Pickle goes crazy over paper, and while fooling around, I snapped a picture of her "picking destinations". It may be blur, but this picture was too good to be true. Psychic kitty! ]

Does this mean I can stop fighting Spell Check, and start yanking alphabets to spell like a Yankee, again?



17 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations! I am happy for you... but you'll be away from Europe for one year. (I was hoping we'll see again!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!
    Now I'm curious to know where you will end after your sabbatic Yankee year :)
    Another meet up in a snowed-in Rome is due according to Juana :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Rome is prepared for snow, this time *LOL*

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh I am so jealous, you have such an amazing adventure ahead of you cannot wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! Now I am feeling excited :)

      Delete
  4. All the best with your new adventure, Juanita!!!!! We'll keep in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's time to let go of the 'extra' vowels and get reacquainted with the letter 'z'. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and I thought I've used enough 'z's in German :D

      Delete
  6. What an exciting start you will have to the new Year and how exciting! Pickle is a very clever cat showing us where you will be moving too!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS going to be an interesting start to 2013 for us :)

      Delete
  7. Oh. You are always moving, Juanita! I hope I can, too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The future's ahead of you, Monica.

      Delete
  8. Woohoo! USA here you come! I hope Pickle's quarantine isn't too long so she can join you in your new place soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, there are no quarantine requirements for domestic cats entering the part of the USA where we are heading. Also, coming from Switzerland, it's probably going to be easy :)

      Delete
  9. Oh sorry I didn't see this post earlier - what exciting news!!

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)