Friday, November 2, 2012

Sew Me Something: Seaweed Green Floral Dress

01.Nov.12 01.Nov.12 01.Nov.12 01.Nov.12
Some time this Summer, a friend visited India and returned home with a couple of fabrics for me. I adore this seaweed-y green floral print fabric! Since her birthday is round the corner, I thought to surprise her with a dress. Seeing how she chose this fabric (albeit for me), she must like it, too.

Good thing too, is said friend has the same build as I do. But she definitely has a smaller waist. Nevermind that, she can always take the dress in with a nice belt!

I hope she will like it. And I think I'm going to sew me another :)


Project Notes:
Sewing Pattern
Burda Magazine Spring/Summer 2009, E988 dress 5A

Material
Floral cotton fabric from India, 114 x 200cm. 
YKK zipper.

Techniques
1. Gathered skirt
2. Hand-stitching the finishings

Time taken
A little under 8 hours, divided in 2 days*. The pattern was already drawn and cut from previous 2 dresses, so that saved A LOT of time.
*I time myself with a stopwatch. I am nerdy like that.

17 comments:

  1. I saw the dress on instagram and loved it the moment I saw it - I'm sure your friend will really love it too. The fabric is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trees! I am crazy about it, and still have half the mind of keeping it for myself :D

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely, Juanita!!! I'm sure your friend is going to love it! Or... if you decide to keep it for yourself, we can understand you! ;D
    Have a beautiful November! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D No, I will stick to the original plan and give it to her. I can always make another for myself :)

      Delete
  3. Really like a modern Audrey Hepburn ! You are talented in sewing (and many more other things) Juanita ! Bravo !
    Whish I would have this waist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Well, that friend was generous too, by buying me fabric from India!

      Delete
  5. i love the style of the dress, very feminine! well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I love that neck cut! That is my fav! If I ever get married I want that cut! What is it called? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume it is called 'boat neck'?

      Delete
  7. This dress is super cute!
    You did such a good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. i am so taken with this dress. the fabric and the cut... wow. wish i could sew like that! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning and fumbling along the way. Believe me.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Such a cute dress! I cannot believe you sewed this - wish I had that kind of talent.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)