Friday, July 6, 2012

CD Diary: Aras Napal, Besitang, Sumatra (Day 1/4) - Aras, the Baby Elephant

With lunch quickly over and the guys off on their first flight, I took a few minutes to take in the surroundings.
DSC05751

A baby elephant was passing by! The lady gestured and said something I couldn't quite hear or understand...
DSC05740

Oh! Me! She was offering me the chance to feed the elephant!
DSC05741

I walked towards them nervously. (When was the last time you approached an elephant?)
This kind lady placed a jambu air and carrot in my hand as the trainer told the elephant to lift its trunk to open its mouth.
Never having fed an elephant before, I tossed a carrot. (My cats sometimes enjoy that.)
Oops, it was such a bad aim and I lost his treat.

DSC05742

I was shown the right way: You have to reach into the mouth and place the food on the tongue.
Oh, it was slobbery and squishy and oh-so-soft... Aww... Baby elephant...

I got better at feeding Aras its rewards, as it obeyed its commands of tutup (sit), stand, open, and even a handshake.
DSC05743
26.May.12, Saturday -- The day I fed a baby elephant named Aras.

This is no petting zoo; Aras is part of an elephant patrol unit.

It's a good thing when you're told you have a memory of an elephant.
Will Aras remember me, the next time we meet?

1 comment:

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)