We did it, guys. A 'comeback' dress to restore a little confidence in my sewing.
What enabled this was returning to something I have tried before.
If you are finding this fabric a little familiar, or odd...
Yes, it is an IKEA fabric!
There was a sale last Winter, and someone insisted I get this fabric, saying it would be great for a dress. Really?
I guess no one is going to call this a granny cloth / granny dress now, right?
Or would I disappear into your IKEA-furnished apartment with it, this time?
No major setbacks to report, but just a couple of bumps and kinks of dissatisfaction, which I won't point out to you if you can't yet see them.
Just stop staring at my left armpit, though.
I even got to try out a new-to-me sewing technique called 'All-in-one facing' for the shoulders.
The pleated bit took me a long while to get sorted. As I wanted to use the *whole* 1.5m width of the fabric, I had to create my own pleats. My fault; I was greedy. Could have just nicked the fabric to follow the sewing pattern's instructions.
But believe me, these large overlapping pleats are going to spare you from seeing anything that shouldn't be seen.
Alas, ironing this dress was - and is going to be - slightly interesting.
Inside-out shots, because I believe the serger deserves some credit.
Burda Magazine Spring/Summer 2009, E988 dress 5A
Cotton fabric from IKEA, approx. 250 x 150 cm.
1. Invisible zipper. Time-consuming but worth it it.
A little under 3 days. I know. I need to break this 3-day spell.