Sunday, March 18, 2012

How I Made My Grey Fold-over Bag

Grey fold-top cross body!

I have been asked how I made this bag.

Sewing bags is a fun adventure for me -- these few things determine the outcome:
- Type and Size of material I have and want to work with;
- Functionality / What-I-want-in-a-bag;
- The little knowledge I have about construction; and
- Patience + How well my toy sewing machine can handle it :D

I needed to replace my old, every-day hangbag that was falling apart.
This thrifted synthetic suede material looked like it would give me some good mileage as a proper bag.

It was a real test of endurance for my modest little IKEA sewing machine. Yes! Sewing machine from IKEA. To all you sewing experts out there, what I possess is a toy. Whatever does the job...

Grey synthetic suede fabric.

Here is a sneak peek of how I cooked the bag up:

Grey fold-top bag 01 Grey fold-top bag 08 Grey fold-top bag 13 Grey fold-top bag 17 Grey fold-top bag 23

By no means is it an elaborate tutorial, this album is a document of the How-I-Made-My-Bag process.
Have a look-see and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Love your bag! For me the most difficult thing its the zip... mostly when the bag its not sew at the bottom. Then, there is the lining, I love fancy satin o silk ones; but they are so slippery!
    The IKEA sewing machine came all in one piece or you had to put it together?:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D

      Good one! Thank goodness this IKEA sewing machine was already assembled! :D

      Delete
  2. Juanita,
    Think you are a genius...
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)