Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Holiday Sewing #1: New Look Easy 6359

Introduction:
With school out of the way, I was eager to see to one of my goals for the year.
Sew a garment!
This was what I got up to in the first few days of Christmas/New Year's break.

Objectives:
1. Use a piece of batik cloth.
2. Sew properly, i.e. follow a sewing pattern.
3. Acquire a new technique with this project.

Materials and Methods:
1. One piece of batik cloth: 1.7m long by 1.2m wide.
2. New Look Easy 6359 vintage sewing pattern.


Results:
27.Dec.11 Holiday sewing

27.Dec.11 Holiday sewing

27.Dec.11 Holiday sewing

27.Dec.11 Holiday sewing

27.Dec.11 Holiday sewing

1. Material
The batik cloth came with size limitations. While it was too much for a blouse, it was just right for a short dress or tunic. I wanted to use as much of it as possible, hence the batik neckline, sleeve borders, and big pockets.
I have little bits of plain white scraps left, as well as some self-made biased tape of this purple print.

2. The Sewing Pattern
New Look Easy 6359 pattern was selected, as a tunic with sleeves would have been nice. It also let me use up as much of the batik material as possible.
With this pattern, I have learnt how to set in sleeves.

Discussion:
1. The resulting tunic -- of supposedly my size -- turned out too big. The pleats at the front and back of the neckline were the consequence. Perhaps I measured myself wrongly :D
It's still wearable. One of my following tasks would be to learn how to fix patterns.
2. The inside seams were all serged/overlocked and tidy. Hooray!
3. I am pleased about meeting all the Objectives of this project.


4 comments:

  1. Well done you, I like it a lot! I must get back to attempting to sew clothes after my first success last summer as I still have yards of African fabric to use up

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the tunic which is big...you're too tiny and skinny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it .. reminds me of a hot summer !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Juanita!
    Happy New Year! School out of the way-hoorahh!! Looks like you made a fab job of that tunic - pretty brave of you to use a patterned fabric....Well done!
    p.s. sewing still brings me out in a cold sweat.....:(

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)