Sunday, July 10, 2011

Currants to Make Me a Happy Ribena Berry, Woo!

04.Jul.11 Currant syrup / Ribena experiment
04.Jul.11 Currant syrup / Ribena experiment
04.Jul.11 Currant syrup / Ribena experiment
04.Jul.11 Currant syrup / Ribena experiment
04.Jul.11 Currant syrup / Ribena experiment
04.Jul.11 Currant syrup / Ribena experiment

With about 1kg of currants from the allotment, I was not sure what I could do with them.
I scoured the internet for currant recipes. Currant jelly came up often. But I was not confident if I had any jelly or jam-making skills. (Never tried!)
And then a friend suggested Ribena!
Yes, why not?

Here was what I did:
  • To 600gm of currants (a mix of red and black) in a saucepan, I added 200ml of water.
  • I boiled them, mashing them slightly.
  • The currant berries disintegrated and the liquid thickened.
  • Then I strained the mashed currants with a cloth strainer, collecting the juice in another pot.
  • To the currant juice, I dissolved over low heat 1-and-half cups of sugar + a squirt of lemon juice (maybe 1 tbsp). I wasn't sure why I added lemon juice, but I did it anyway.
The taste test? "This tastes like Ribena," the hubs remarked.
That means I passed.

10 comments:

  1. Duh, I thought they were cherries! I keep seeing that advert on TV and wondering what Ribena was. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A refreshing drink as a reward for your effort instead of a cool beer!
    Good luck with Bellingua!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't be healthier than this ! Selfmade is the best ever !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jam and jelly can be tricky...my Mom always taught my sisters and I using small batches- much easier to control! I still have issues with grape jelly though. I'm much better at making blackberry or apple butter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, so obvious! I'm not a fan of my own jam so this is a brilliant way of using up Dad's allotment crop - thanks for the how-to! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ayudadme con el LOOK y el sonido, vuestras opiniones serán estudiadas!

    Hope U to like my NEW SONG!

    Espero que os guste mi nuevo vídeo!


    http://www.youtube.com/user/AnguisKokens


    Un besote!

    ...Y si os gusta de verdad FACEBOOKEARME y hacedme famoso, estoy en vuestras manos!! ;)


    Thanks & Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! Good work :-) The berries do look pretty happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been catching up on your blog. Wow, you have a large space for a garden. it's alot of work but the final product makes it all worthwhile. CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)