Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Garden Update (picture heavy)

Welcome to the Garden of Horror.
19.Jun.11

*scream* Yes, I hear you scream.
( source )

This was how we left it many, many weeks ago.
06.May.11

*scream* Now I'm screaming.
( source )

But wait, it's not all horrifying. Some nice things are hiding in there...

... itty bitty Zucchinis.
19.Jun.11

... a surprise Radish!
19.Jun.11

... these Tomatoes look promising
19.Jun.11

... a lonesome bunch of Spinach
19.Jun.11

... Raspberries and Currants
19.Jun.11

... and more Currants!
19.Jun.11

Now, these make my skin crawl. They were all over.
19.Jun.11

Cultivating organic vegetables is no easy feat (especially if you are as negligent as I am) --
all my Cabbages have been sacrificed to bugs.
19.Jun.11

Despite the bad news, we have our first harvest!

A bunch of Raspberries (that went perfectly with yogurt).
19.Jun.11
Could have been more if we didn't keep popping them into our mouths.

... and this single Radish.
19.Jun.11
(Those were my gloves. Sorry.)
Oops, forgot about the few leaves of Spinach. Oh well.

Let me remind you, once again, how a vegetable allotment should look like:
19.Jun.11

I know.
Shame on me.

To quote my neighbour's recent comment as I lamented to her about its condition:
"These gardens are for retirees."
That's true. I've seen them.

9 comments:

  1. A garden needs a huge bunch of attention and no insects if possible ... but anyway, your harvest look eadible ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hate weeds too! And snails! But you got some success. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some beautiful vegetables !!! And if you need mulch, you already have plenty of weeds (in french mauvaises herbes), that you could put around your veggies and let dry ! This is only if your summer is dry ! Otherwise, you will have a lot of slugs (iiiiiiiiiiiiihhhh).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking at gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you changed your mind perhaps?
    Never seen a radish like that one..our radish are like tiny red balls..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that radish... a parsnip? I don't mean to be pedantic, it's just I've never seen one like that before! Garden's looking brill though, you'll have a good harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How will you cook/eat that raddish? I think my sister had one and we couldn't work out what it was - we thought it was a turnip. Any good recipe ideas?

    Your garden looks wicked but how will you get rid of the bugs?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny! On the bright side, at least things are growing in your garden (and how!) - I tend to have very bad luck with all types of plants...

    And those raspberries look delicious - nothing like fresh produce straight out of your own garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the start of a very good meal there if you can beat the bugs to it!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)