Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pinza, My Version

How could you look at Michela's Nan's authentic Italian recipe and not want to give it a go?
The Pinza recipe was posted in December 2009. That meant a year of my procrastinating, ha. What matters now, is I took a shot at the Pinza, yesterday. As I only needed to prepare a cake for 'just two of us', proportions were pure guesstimates. I was convinced all ingredients should fit into the tin.


Total baking time: almost 60 min @180°C.45 min uncovered + 15 min covered with foil, as my oven tends to burn the top.

I remembered figs a little too late. The Hubs and I liked it! What I like about this Pinza cake is that milky moist flavour (from milk-soaked bread), the sweetness, a very slight hint of liquor, the surprising pop of flavour from the fennel seeds,and random crunchy textures of walnuts. Can you imagine what it would be like with dried figs?

Baking is always tricky, for me, so if you want to give my version a try, do continue reading.

Set A:
26 cm Springform Tin, buttered, then dusted with flour

Set B: Soaking process.
12 slices of Toast, thin, cut into small pieces
500ml Milk, boiled
2 tsp Fennel seeds

Set C: Mixing process.
1 generous shot of Pear Liquor, sweet
2 generous cups of Sultanas
2 green Apples, sweet variety, chopped
1 generous cup of whole Walnuts, slightly crushed
75 grams Butter, melted
2/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Flour
2 Eggs, beaten
1 big pinch of Salt

Baking Time and Temperature: 45 to 60 minutes, 180°C.
Just do Set A, B, and C accordingly, and put them all together!

Do give it a go and see how you like it.

4 comments:

  1. Mmh..eggs for Gnocchi..now dried figs for Pinza ;D...
    I have to show this post to my nan, she will be very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.Forgot to say that it lasts for a few days (out of the fridge) and as days pass by, it get even more yummy!
    ..erm..not sure it can last for such a long time chez Juanita&Dr.Pin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juanitta that looks AMAZING!!!!!
    I think I'll try a frying pan cake very soon!
    HUGS and have a great week!
    Char.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks extremely yummy, I'd eat a slice or two or three of that. YUMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)