Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How I got a garden allotment in Maur, Zürich.

There was a lot of helpful information on the English Forum about garden allotments, http://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/5474-garden-allotment-information.html .

These questions came to mind when I wanted to lease an allotment in a plot:
  •  Where is the nearest one to me (in Maur)? I do see a  garden plot along my bus route.
  • Where is Maur, or nearest town by me, in this website? I wasn't sure at all.
  • How do I sign up for one? And will I be on the waiting list? These things are well-sought after.
  • With whom should I speak to? Speak with someone in the Gemeindehaus*, I was told.
*Town Hall / Community Centre

So, off I went to the Maur Gemeindehaus, armed with these questions. English questions. (How brave.) 

I was told that these garden plots are managed by clubs, the Familiengartenvereine, or FGV for short. Thankfully, there is a FGV in Maur. The ladies at the Gemeindehaus then kindly looked up the Präsidentin's contact number and e-mail. That was the person I was to contact.

Trying my luck, I wrote an e-mail. A very short e-mail, in English and German. (Thank you, Google Translate!) Received a reply the very next day from the President of FGV Maur, and we arranged for a meeting. And you know how the rest of this story went.

If you'd like to get yourself a garden allotment, but don't know where to start, there is no harm in speaking with someone in your Gemeinde.

3 comments:

  1. ..you should write about how you got green-fingered friends :)
    ..just because you were jealous of their tomatoes :-P
    MWHAHA HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are soooo lucky, here we have waitingslists for such a piece of land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy gardening! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of what you've planted!

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)