Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The 2-cm Handmade Box



Here in Swiss-land, once a package is over 2.0cm thick, the postage goes sky rocketing. It is an expensive way of life, here, which is terrible news for online sellers + buyers. To curb my losses on expensive postage, and, to protect those JuanitaTortilla handmade items, I have come up with my own 2.0cm  boxes. It has taken me a few tries to achieve the almost postage perfect box. And I did this with the help of this stack of cards.


A little background story about these cards:
They were meant to be used as our wedding invitations (circa 2003). Even though these cards are ivory / off white, they were a big no-no -- 'Do not pass Go' No. White is an inauspicious colour, according to parents. 
So, through these years, I've had a glorious stack of ivory plain cards to play with, and now to put them to good use!

8 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea, the boxes look awesome and luxurious !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius! Don't you love when you find a use for something you've been saving for ages? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're full of initiative, Juanita! Such a good idea to make your own boxes to fit your specific needs - are they marketable to other Swiss vendors, too? And I love the re-purposing of those cards. My parents were similarly 'definite' on issues about our wedding. A married friend warned me: "Remember, it's not your wedding, it's your mother's"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO did you use RED in the end...? Thank God my parents didn't mind I used ivory cards (printed black and a splash of red) for my invitations.

    BTW, I tried to bake those bagels yesterday. Unfortunately, they were burnt to a certain degree because the oven was too hot! I am cutting myself some slack considering it was the first time in my life I have ever baked bread. Cutting away the burnt bits, the bagels taste ok!

    Trying out again soon, when I finish my current batch of bagels. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You clever thing! I think you should entitle these posts "how to cheat strict Swiss rules!" ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great - must be good to finally use all that lovely card too! G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, I am still after making my own postoffice plastic measure, as my items are so many different sizes. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done! I've had to make a few 2cm boxes as well recently. Luckily, 10 inki notecards with envelopes are just under 2cm, so it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)