Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Moving out of your Swiss home: 3 Official Dates


Most tenants are bound by yearly rental contracts, with a housing agent or private owner.
We have recently just come to learn about these 3 move out dates.

The 3 special dates: end March, end June, and end September.

As far as I know, these 3 official dates allow a tenant to move out without being bound by 'contractual rules' and protocol. Contractual rules such as: (a) 3 months advance notice, and/or (b) finding replacements. It might also be a 1-month notice, or finding at least 3 possible candidates. Or, having 'served' your 12-month contract, you just find a replacement, within 1 month's notice. I am still fuzzy about the details. It could just all depend on the agent / person you are renting from? Correct me if I'm wrong.

We move in to our new home fairly soon, although missing out on a "special" move out date.
So, what do we do? We find a replacement.

Up next: Finding tenant replacements.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds very complicated.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think each country has it rules on this item. Don't you have like tenantslawholders that can give info ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a bit confusing (well for me!!!)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Typical that overseas renters find out this kind of thing too late - there were lots of details that escaped us in France, too. Very best of luck with finding a replacement tenant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Italy it should be enough a 1 month notice...if they wouldn't be so strict, they wouldn't be called "Swiss"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does sound complicated - I hope your parcel arrives before you move out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo exciting stuff - can't wait to see what your new place looks like! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. It's amazing anyone ever moves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good grief, what a complicated and weird process. I don't think much of that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to hear about the clean up....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh - finding replacements is the biggest pain in the butt. I hate having to show my house to complete strangers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even though I am Swiss (who's lived half her life in the States), I had no idea about these dates until we moved back to Switzerland this past summer. I'm not too sure about whether one is still bound by the contractual rules if one moves out by those dates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I hope this was not too stressful news for you... How do you feel about changing home? And Fluffy? :)

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)