Friday, February 26, 2010

Eating Ethiopian with Your Hands


Food tastes much better when eaten with your hands; I like to eat with my hands. No? How about chicken wings, pizza, French fries, breads, sandwiches, ice cream cones...  anything else? Indian food served on a banana leaf.

I was delighted to try Ethiopian food, for my first time, last Friday with a bunch of girls. (Yes, girls' night out!)
What I found most interesting was the "sour pancakes". I just found out that these sour pancakes are called injera. The injera is your plate, as well as your food. Super!

Our good friend, Wikipedia says:
In making injera, teff flour is mixed with water and allowed to ferment for several days, as with sourdough starter. As a result of this process, injera has a slight sour taste. 
Injera compares to the French crepe and the South Indian dosa as a flatbread cooked in a circle and used as a base for other foods. 
The taste and texture, however, are quite unique and unlike the crepe and dosa.
The sourness from the injera makes your appetite grow, and it goes well with the flavours and spices from the dishes. For me, the food flavour was a strange mix of something familiar, yet something new. If you know what I mean.

Also, I definitely like this communal style of eating. It's all about sharing the moment!

8 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, isn't it tasty? There are loads of Ethiopian restaurants in DC and we used to frequent them quite often. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely delicious to me and I would definitely give that a try. We do love food, all kinds of dishes from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love eating with my hands too! Food really does taste better and seems to be easier to eat too! Suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you were a ldy of the night! ;-)
    ..do you think I'm weird if I tell you that I use the knife even for eating chicken's legs?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really tasty... reminded me of Egyptian food as well. I could give a lot to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Japanese Sishi (nigiri) is eating with hand actually,but we eat with chopsticks. I feel exothic food experence seems what you had.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting about this place! I have a friend who's Ethiopian. I'm not sure she knows about this restaurant, so I sent the link.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)