Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"LoHei" or "YuSheng"

As it was my first time thinking of making a 'Lo Hei' (or 'Yu Sheng'), I relied heavily upon my memory.
1- I remembered how raw fish was involved.
2- I also remember dressings were poured over, and 
3- how we would toss this salad with chopsticks.

My improvisation
Since it essentially is a colourful salad that people toss together, I made it so, with: lettuce, bells peppers, grated carrots, surimi crabsticks, and smoked salmon.  The Hubs carefully shredded and sliced the ingredients.

I also 'split up' the salad dressing in espresso cups: balsamic vinegar, honey, lemon juice, and olive oil.
(That way, we can all decide on how sweet and sour we want it to be.)

The action shot
Here is how it would look: a family group tossing the Yu Sheng, or doing the Lo Hei.
{taken while in Singapore, 2006}

It is also quite a noisy affair, if you read on this Wiki page:
All diners at the table than stand up and on cue, proceed to toss the shredded ingredients into the air with chopsticks while saying various "auspicious wishes" out loud. It is believed that the height of the toss reflects the height of the dinner's growth in fortunes, thus dinners are expected to toss enthusiastically.
In short, the higher the better, the noisier the better.

My question:
Do you know of other cultures that have such a strong emphasis on 'wealth' and 'prosperity', or 'luck' and 'fortune'?

6 comments:

  1. I didnt know of CNY so far. it looks so fun.

    What did you say auspicious wishes?

    We say 'Akemashite omedetou!' each other at the New Year. it means congratulations of the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mami:

    :)
    We didn't say anything auspicious. Not very traditional people!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dishes where everybody can just tuck in like that. Thats why I really like doing fondues with friends, its such a relaxed and friendly way of eating.
    I like all the ingredients in your salad, except for the crabsticks, eww, don't like those, just gimme more smoked salmon instead, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fun meals like that where everyone basically shares from the same dish!
    I would say most asian cultures place emphasis on wealth/prosperity/luck/fortune. I know in the Japanese culture one is supposed to eat a specific dish to have a prosperous new year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really yummy. I wish my mom cooked more.
    Of course, I like fish, so I am sure I would like this dish!
    --JB

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)