Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sister's Visit: Day 9: Rapperswil

This is a little recap of my sister's visit from a couple of months ago. She spent 11 days in Zürich, in 2 separate weeks. Day 9 = June 14 2009, Sunday.







I might have read somewhere that Rapperswil is a town of roses. Wikipedia confirms it.
The main sights of Rapperswil are its roses, Rapperswil castle, the reconstructed wooden bridge to Hurden with its bridge chapel (Heilighüsli) located at Seedamm, the Capuchin monastery, and the remains of the Middle Ages fortifications located on Lake Zürich.
Rapperswil is often referred to as the town of roses (Rosenstadt) because of its extensive displays of roses in three designated parks. No less than 15,000 plants of 600 different kinds may be viewed between June and October. There is also a rose garden in the town center, accessible to blind and disabled people.
We took the "Grosse Rundfahrten" boat ride from Zürich Bürkliplatz, departing at 9:30am (hence the coffee onboard). In my opinion, taking the boat to Rapperswil, or anywhere along Lake Zürich does wonders to your spirit.

Rapperswil offers many restaurants, not just roses, and the old town is charming too. Visiting Rapperswil was a great way to spend a relaxing afternoon. More so if you are a fan of roses!

Sources:

3 comments:

  1. Hello!, thanks for popping by my blog and following it too! I really appreciate it. What a beautiful place Rapperswil looks! Suzie! X :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! I love the lake boats in CH but haven't really taken a long trip on the Zürichsee. Now I really want to try it. Maybe this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really wonderful - I need shots of mountains and water at the moment - far too hot here...

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)