Monday, July 20, 2009

Sister's Visit: Day 6: I need Boxes. How do you say that in Swiss German?

This is a little recap of my sister's visit from a few weeks ago. She spent 11 days in Z├╝rich, in 2 separate weeks. Day 6 = June 11 2009.

I don't know about you, but we rarely ever have carton boxes in the household. Don't you just love to recycle those 'karton' whenever the collection date comes along? So when my sister noticed that her ever-increasing shopping wasn't going to fit her FOUR luggages, we had to look for carton boxes, to pack and ship them.

"You know, those big boxes people use when moving?" she specified.
Don't I have any? When we moved?
Um, nope. We used canvas bags.

So, we trotted to Migros. Cashier did not understand my request. (There went my confidence.) We then moved on to Denner. Too late, they've packed and sent their carton off for recycling -- that much body language I could understand. I was *this close* to giving up on the Box Hunt.

Eureka. Let's go to an Asian store! A Chinese one, to be exact.
'Sawasdee kah' at a Thai store wasn't going to get us any help.

Lian Hua GmbH, @ Berninaplatz, Oerlikon.

Finally, a place where we could be understood, vice versa. Our accents differ a little, but my sister did tip-top; the lady gave her a selection of boxes to choose from, and we walked off with 2! A multitude of "xie xie"s and a heap load of instant noodles (I felt obliged to buy *something*) later, we headed downtown.
Yes, with those boxes under our arms. We were that ecstatic. It was a beautiful sunny day to be wasted at home, anyway.

So, what time does the post office close today?
"Um, I dunno. I'm always there before 4p.m."..."And it closes for lunch!", I injected with some pride.
What time will it open tomorrow?
"Friday? Um... 9? I think?"
Saturday?
"Um... not sure."
'Do people even work on Saturdays?', I thought.

Ms. 4-1-1 = Not me.
For my benefit, my sister took this picture:

Should stick this information on my refrigerator.

That was our little Box Hunt adventure. Carton boxes. Big carton boxes. Where are they -the free ones- when you need them most? And you thought a big supermarket would be the ideal place, right?


Tea time: Strawberry flakes from Finland.


Dinner: Fish curry, from the powder my sister bought from Singapore.


Dessert: homemade Custard tart.

Later, it was an evening spent at home.
Time to pack. And hey, Box Hunting can be exhausting too.

3 comments:

  1. boxing cleaver tale of box procurement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sounds like a story that could only happen in Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, the food looks so yummy!!! I'm off to have dinner!

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)