Friday, May 29, 2009

Vegetable Query: Kohlrabi


CIMG2275, originally uploaded by juanitatortilla.com.

Kohlrabi, called here in German-speaking Switzerland. They are otherwise known as German Turnip.

This was my first Kohlrabi, of which I picked out from the fresh market, before knowing what it was. This is as far as I go when it comes to "living dangerously".

I chopped off the leafy parts, "shaved" off the woody skin. The skin was tough and woody. Diced up the crunchy interior, and popped one cube into my mouth. It had a crunch of an apple, and it was sweet , though not apple-sweet, but vegetable-sweet.

Then I braised these crunchy Kohlrabi cubes in butter and a bit of water, till fork-tender.

If you like Broccoli stems, this one's for you!

2 comments:

  1. You are very adventurous with foreign vegetables! At the moment I'm sticking to only buying what I recognize like broccoli. I think I will read up about some new veggies on your blog and also try something different. Thanks for sharing your vegetable discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love kohlrabi!!! although the way we eat it in my family is a bit different - we grate it, add a mix of cream and mayonaise, some salt and pepper and eat it as a salad :)Amazing how things differe from country to country! If I understood well you come from Singapore...do you miss it living so far away?

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)