Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Vegetable Query: Cauliflower Leaves

Cauliflowers are one of my favourite vegetables! But this part is brand new to me: Cauliflower leaves.

Would you have guessed what it was,
just be looking at this picture?


There were many, many layers...

That's one huge head of a cauliflower.
Now that's value for your money --
2 dishes from 1 head of cauliflower.


An easy stir-fry with olive oil, garlic, and chilli.
I have to start being a little more adventurous with my vegetable cooking.

Taste: It was sweet and very succulent.
It had me thinking, 'giant cabbage leaves'.

Cauliflower and its benefits: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=13
I hope the same goes for its protective leaves!

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could cook cauliflour leaves, but why not? I'm going to have to try it now - thanks for the education!

    I'm here in Edinburgh without the rest of the family, because my mum has been very ill. She's on the mend but not able to cope with many visitors, so I spend mornings and evenings with her, but in the afternoons she has a long nap, so off I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juanita! Thanks for your post. No, we are not near L'Aquila; but it scared quite a bit, since here in Rome was quite strong, fortunatly without damages. My toughts are for all those people who lose the loved ones and the house. It's terrible.
    I had no idea either that cauliflour leaves were edible! I must try. Thanks for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to try cauliflower leaves, but unfortunately we can only get the "flower" bit from the supermarkets here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. que lindo o seu blog Juanita! Parece que foi feito com muito carinho por você! Estarei sempre te visitando...desculpe pelo comentário em português... beijos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know. I always end up composting them! (But then we don't get a lot of the leaves part when we buy from the supermarket.)

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)