Monday, February 23, 2009

A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini

Image of book is taken from Indian Muslims Blog, http://indianmuslims.in/a-thousand-splendid-suns/



Tracey had me read Khaled Hosseini's 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' in good time -- it kept me positively busy while The Hubs was away.

I cannot remember the one book that had me so thoroughly engaged and moved.
What's more, I am a I-will-wait-for-the-movie-version lazybum.

Taken from Pages 89-90:
She remembered Nana saying once that each snowflake was a sigh heaved by an aggrieved woman somewhere in the world. That all the sighs drifted up the sky, gathered into clouds, then broke into tiny pieces that fell silently on the people below.
As a reminder of how women like us suffer
, she'd said. How quietly we endure all that falls upon us.

Beautiful, isn't it?

I highly recommend reading this book.
Also, I am looking forward to 'The Kite Runner'. Have you read it?

The Plot for 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', and spoilers, can be found here at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Thousand_Splendid_Suns


4 comments:

  1. I saw The Kite Runner at the movies and cried during a big part of it. Really moving story. But I heard that the book is even better than the film, as usually happens with novel adaptations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kite Runner is an awesome book. Very sad but very good. I think I have to read thousand splendid suns soon since you've given it such raving reviews.

    PS: I thought you don't read??!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this book in January and loved it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that book. It caused me to stay up till 4 in the morning just to finish it. I think it is better then the Kite Runner - but only because I feel for the female perspective. If you are intrested in Muslim women stories - I recomend the Princess trilogy.

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)