Monday, October 27, 2008

Chicken in a Cucumber - recipe

The Hubs got back from DC on Sunday morning.
That called for a special Sunday lunch,
so I re-created Dao's cucumber chicken soup.

My steps:
'Mince' 2 chicken breast fillets.
(How about this handsome mezzaluna from Brockiland?)

Dice a carrot, and boil it in some water.
Meanwhile,
Peel 2 cucumbers, divide them, and 'tunnel' out the seeds with a butter knife.

Season and mix minced chicken with:
roast garlic + soy sauce + fish sauce + black pepper.
(Dao's version included Chinese celery roots!)

Stuff the cucumber rings generously.
(I used all of the chicken.)

Dao's version required the use of Chinese Celery. I used the cousin, Italian Parsley.

Add into the boiling water:
a chopped onion, the parsley, the chicken-in-cucumbers, fish + soy sauces + pepper to taste.
Add more water, if needed.

Boil, then simmer until onions and cucumbers are tender. About 30min, or more.

I had a pot of cooked rice, so I added that in and made it into soupy rice.

It was a hit.
You know it is a hit when The Hubs asks for more helpings until there is none left.
(I know -- that was 2 large cucumbers and chicken fillets, and rice, tucked into our bellies!)

2 comments:

  1. Yum.

    By the way, that mezzaluna looks like it could split hairs. Have you tried it per chance? If so, I would call that a real bar-jin. Yes indeedy. ;)

    Ps. When are you taking me out again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything cucumber and after being with my Korean friends, I realized that everything goes well with it. :)

    ReplyDelete

How I love comments. Thank you for stopping by; I really appreciate it :)